Kolkata Egg Roll Wrap is the ultimate street food snack – a delicious egg paratha wrap with veggie filling made especially for the evening rush hour crowd.
The Kolkata Egg Kathi roll is essentially a paratha with a coating of egg on one side, wrapped around a stuffing of sliced onions, cucumber, bell peppers and green chillies. This fab filling makes the egg roll a tasty treat. Three cheers for this Kolkata Street Food snack – the famous Egg Kathi Roll!
Kolkata Egg Roll Street Food Recipe:
Kati in Bengali means stick and refers to the bamboo (kati) skewers used for making kebabs for Chicken Kati Roll. Nowadays, Kathi Roll refers to any Indian flatbread rolled with stuffing of one’s choice. Chicken Kathi Roll and Egg Kathi Roll are the two popular variants of Kolkata style Kathi Roll.
How to make Kolkata Egg Roll Wrap:
To make Kolkata Egg Roll Wrap, keep the kati roll filling ingredients ready – slice onions, cucumber and capsicum; finely chop green chillies and coriander leaves. Set aside.
Take all-purpose flour in a bowl. Add oil and salt and knead into a smooth dough with a little water.
Divide the kati roll dough into equal portions and roll out each portion.
Heat a tava and place the rolled out paratha on it. Cook till brown spots appear on both sides. Add oil on top of the paratha and along the sides. Remove the cooked paratha and keep aside.
Break an egg in a mixing bowl, add salt and whisk well. Add 1 tsp of oil to the pan and pour the beaten egg and lightly swirl the pan.
Place a pre-cooked Paratha on top of the egg mixture. Using a spatula, gently press the paratha onto the omelette.
Cook for 1-2 minutes, flip the egg-coated paratha over and let the other side cook.
Remove the Paratha coated with egg on one side and set aside.
To assemble Kolkata Egg Kati Roll, place the cooked paratha egg side up on a plate. Place sliced onions, capsicum strips, sliced cucumber, chopped green chillies and fresh coriander leaves in the centre.
Add some ketchup, lime juice and chaat masala to the paratha bread wrap with filling. Roll up the paratha.
Serve Kolkata Egg Roll Wrap with yogurt mint chutney.
Kathi Roll With Egg Recipe details:
- All purpose flour/Maida – 1 cup
- Eggs - 4, lightly beaten
- Onions – 2 large, thinly sliced
- Cucumber - 1, chopped
- Green chillies – 1, finely chopped
- Capsicum – 1, chopped finely
- Chaat masala – ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Lemon juice – 1-2 tsp
- Tomato ketchup
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- To make egg kathi roll, take flour in a bowl. Add 1 tsp of oil, ¼ tsp of salt and knead into a soft dough, adding water a little at a time. Cover and keep for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into golf-sized balls and roll out into thin discs.
- Heat a non-stick pan, place a Roti on it and cook till slightly brown on medium heat, flip and let the other side cook. Smear a little oil on the surface of the Roti and remove. Repeat likewise with the remaining Rotis
- Meanwhile in a bowl, whisk an egg with salt. Pour 1 tsp of oil in the pan and tip in the beaten egg, swirl the pan slightly to evenly spread the egg.
- After a couple of seconds, place a pre-cooked Roti on top of the egg and lightly press down with a spatula so that the Roti sticks to the omelette. Cook for a couple of minutes and then gently flip
- over the omelette. Let the underside of the Roti cook for a minute or two and then remove. Repeat the same procedure for the remaining Rotis.
- Take a flat plate and place the Roti wrap with the omelette side up. Line up sliced onions, cucumber, green chillies, bell pepper and chopped coriander leaves in the centre.
- Drizzle some ketchup, add a dash of lime juice, sprinkle some chaat masala and roll the Roti.
- Wrap the bottom half of the Egg Roll with a paper napkin to hold it nicely together.
- Serve Kolkata Egg Kathi Roll hot !!!