Sojne Phool Kala Channa Fry is a healthy and easy Bengali dish made from drumstick blossoms and black chickpeas. Sojne Phul bhaja (drumstick flowers fry) made with simple ingredients is a powerhouse of nutrients.
Kala chana is an excellent source of protein. They have a high fibre content and a low glycemic index. Excellent for lowering cholesterol, regulating blood-sugar levels and improving haemoglobin levels.
Drumstick flowers are rich in Vitamin C and a host of B-complex vitamins.
Sojne Phool Bhaja Bengali Recipe:
Sojne Phool Kala Channa Fry is a simple, easy and nutritious dish. This healthy Bengali drumstick flowers recipe (sojne phuler torkari) is full of flavour.
How to make Bengali Sojne Phook Kala Channa Fry:
1. To make Bengali Sojne Phuler Torkari, soak chickpeas overnight. Drain the water, wash and pressure cook till soft and tender. Drain the excess water and keep aside.
2. Wash and soak the drumstick flowers in salt water for half an hour. (Remove the stalks).
3. Heat oil in a frying pan and temper with mustard seeds. Toss in a broken red chilli and the drumstick blossoms. Stir well, cover with a lid and cook on medium heat for 5-6 minutes. No need to add water.
4. Add the Kala Chana and salt to taste. Mix well and cook till all the water has evaporated and the sojne phool is tender.
5. Remove and serve Bengali Sojne Phool Kala Chana fry with hot tea.
Drumstick Flowers Chickpeas Stir Fry Recipe details:
- Sojne Phool (Drumstick Blossoms) – 1 ½ cups
- Kala Channa – 1 ½ cups
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli – 1
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Soak the chickpeas overnight. Pressure cook until soft. Drain and keep aside.
- Wash the drumstick blossoms thoroughly. Ensure the stalks are removed. Soak the flowers in salt water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Add a broken red chilli, and then the drumstick blossoms. Stir and cook covered for 5-6 minutes. The blossoms give out water.
- Put in the kala chana, add salt and mix well. Cook till all the water has evaporated and the blossoms turn tender.
- Remove and serve Sojne Phool Kala Channa Fry hot.